Sunday, February 7, 2010

Welcome

"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think; was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is, 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!" -Alice


How do you introduce yourself to the internet? Hi, I'm so-and-so and I love to read, like to cook, nap entirely too much, and hate, but continuously wear uncomfortable shoes? I guess I should begin with a disclaimer. This blog was the brainchild of a Ms. Austin, because she has been saying for years that the awkwardness of my life desperately deserves a platform for others to enjoy. Thanks, Austin. Because many of my stories are A. humiliating, and B. ragingly inappropriate, this is your disclaimer. SCRAM. If you are somehow related to me and have continued reading this, SCRAM!!! Okay, you're not leaving? Fine, just don't tell my mom. Or Nana. Thanks.

Let me just say right off the bat, I'm not a creepy Disney-fanatic. No, quite the opposite actually. Last April when my family and I took our "Last Hoorah" family VK to Disney, I spent more time searching for the 'designated smoking areas' than I did taking in the psychotic-manic dream world that old Walt dreamt up in his quest for immortality. (FYI: The designated areas are SUPER hard to find, and Disney vacationers are exceptionally judgmental of smokers. I'll never go back without Nicorette, and an extremely practiced and believable "I-don't-care-if-you're-judging-me" scowl.) But back to what I was saying...

I'm not obsessed with Disney, but I am obsessed with symbols and signs, and have been my whole life. I'm lucky to have found myself right where I am at the moment, which is going to school to become an art therapist. Art therapists are skilled in picking up nonverbal symbols that can be expressed through the creative process. I'm very passionate about people, and how they tick. I firmly believe that had I not been open to the signs along my personal journey, I would not be as happy and healthy as I am today.

So why did I choose an Alice's Adventures in Wonderland themed blog? Because I don't believe in coincidence, I believe in fate. Because signs are not just found in brush strokes and crayon drawings. Signs and symbols and guidance can be found in the everyday monotony of our lives. They can even be hidden in a children's story that you haven't read, watched or thought about in years, when suddenly, BOOM! You, yourself fall down the rabbit-hole, and realize that the journey you're on needs to be shared.

So, welcome. Welcome, welcome, welcome! Please excuse rambling, poor spelling and grammar, and my filthy fucking mouth.

2 comments:

  1. I believe in fate too. Can't wait to keep reading your blog. BTW nice background =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so effing pumped you're blogging!! A new way to stalk you life? Yes please!! Amazing first post, and I can't wait to read the rest. (btw this is V and Norma Jane is my blogging alias)

    ReplyDelete