Thursday, February 18, 2010

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

"There's no use in trying; one can't believe impossible things." -Alice


After many years of thinking, "I'd love to try it," one year ago I found myself in a predicament that led me to one of the best decisions I've ever made. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, I found myself getting advice from every direction in my life. Finally I decided to stop listening to everyone else, and started listening to myself. So, I finally made my long-wished for appointment with a psychic named Kathrine.

So many signs led me to finally saying F it, and booking my appointment. I had plans to visit my friend Marissa (Riss) that weekend, and she had had her own incredible experience with Kathrine, (I even came up in her reading!) so I decided to give Kathrine's shop a call. Not expecting much, because in typical me-fashion, I was calling with a ridiculous request to possibly be seen the very next day (I am an asshole who has poor time management skills). Who would have guessed, she certainly had an hour available the next day, and would be happy to see me! Oh, shit. This is when panic sunk in. What if she tells me I'm going to die in an hour? What if she tells me my life will be a hopeless mess, so give up trying? What if she tells me I'll never be the size 2 that I'm convinced will make all of my problems go away? Like I said, OH, SHIT.

When Riss and I finally got to the shop, "Oh, shit" had morphed into sheer terror at the prospect of my future. My present sitch was so grim, the idea of Kathrine telling me anything remotely negative was enough for me to second guess my decision to book an appointment in the first place. Riss graciously let me go in for my session first (another apt had opened in the slot following mine, and she jumped at the opportunity to talk to Kathrine again) and so began my awesome psychic rollercoaster ride.

Now, as scared as I was, I also told myself I was not going to be duped. I can be very naive and impressionable at times (some of my shittiest qualities, thank you very much) and I forced myself to be cautious. As I sat down in the chair, words immediately began flying out of my mouth that went something like this: "Hi! I'm so excited to be here, oh my god, I can't believe I'm actually here, and doing this and it's actually happening, oh my god, it's just so great! Ahh, I can't believe it, ok but you can't tell me anything bad, oh my gosh, nothing bad at all, I really am not the kind of person that can hear anything bad, oh my god, I'm so excited to be here, this is great, oh my gosh, so great, but nothing bad!!!" She answered with a blank stare. Great start.

I get a lot of questions when I tell people I've been to a psychic and that I was lucky enough to go to one that was too legit to quit. For the record, all she knew was my first name. Caitlin. That's all she asked for over the phone. Unless she had some high-tech caller ID service where she got my number, took my first name, hacked into my cingular family plan, and talked to my mom for 4 hours that morning, there is no possible way she could have known all of the personal stuff she offered to me as proof of her abilities. So, she sold me on my past. I figured the present would be the easiest for her to tell me about. I totally had that post-breakup, perma-scowl on my face. You didn't need to read fortunes to be able to tell that someone had fucked with me bad. Sure enough, in 5 seconds flat she had rationalized any fear/guilt/anxiety/sadness I had about the messy situation. Phew!

This was the part I had been waiting for. My Future. What would it hold? My decision to make an appointment with Kathrine had been made because I was starting over in so many different ways, and wanted to know how it would all turn out. She began by telling me exactly what I was applying to school for, the "healing arts" as she said, that I would be accepted in March of 2009 (bingo-March 26th), and that I would be in school for three long years (wahhhh). It's been so fun having kind of an "in" with the universe this past year. When Kathrine's predictions first began coming true, I tried to be realistic and think, wow, what a coincidence. But how many coincidences can really happen before you realize, okeedokee, there's something goin on here? (And like I said, I don't believe in coincidences!) It's also been fun knowing when things are going to happen. Realistically, I don't have a timeline written down in my room or anything. Kathrine left a lot of mystery so I can still enjoy the little things, but it's very fun to sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

She also explained that the rest of 2009 would be a year of healing and growth for me, and that the following year would be the best year that I would be able to remember. Which brings me to the question, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Would I be just as happy if a psychic had not told me I would be? Or am I happy just because I am? Do I care? Nope.



PS. If anyone has ever been inclined to go to a psychic...GO. (Let this be YOUR sign!)

2 comments:

  1. Where is she...can I go?

    Miss you!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's her website babygirl...

    http://www.readingsbykatherine.com/

    you're lucky! she's right around the corner from you babe. call soon, love and miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete